I had a wonderful day working with the children. All the children demonstrated terrific team work. I have attached the recipe for the Mexican Chilli Beef (see below).
Darren Tinkler (Roots to School)
Mexican Chilli Beef with Chocolate, Sweetcorn Rice served with Tortilla Chips and Sour Cream
I Onion Sliced thinly
I/2 small Red Pepper sliced
1/2 small Yellow Pepper sliced
500g Minced Beef
4 Spring Onions thinly sliced
125g Fresh Coriander
1 x 400g Chopped Tinned Tomatoes
1 heaped teaspoon Cajun Spice
100g Easy Cook Long Grain Rice
1 small tin Sweetcorn
1 small tin Kidney Beans
2 tbls Sour Cream
25g Dark Chocolate
1 tbls Vegetable Oil
- In a large bowl mix the minced beef with the cajun spice. This mix is best left to marinade for 1 hour.
- To make the chilli first fry off the onions in the oil until soft. Add the minced beef and cook until the minced beef is brown.
- Add the peppers and continue to cook until the peppers are slightly soft.
- Add the kidney beans and stir through. Now add the chopped tinned tomatoes and stir until the chilli starts to simmer.
- Add the fresh coriander, spring onions and gently stir through the chocolate until melted. Simmer very slowly for 5 minutes.
- The rice can be cooked simmering with the sweetcorn once the chilli is made.
- Serve the chilli with sour cream and tortilla chips
- Enjoy the sweetness of the chocolate in the chilli.